Monday, November 15, 2010

Reason #3 for blogging?

So I had a few requests for the cartoon strips I used with my kids. They are just normal comic strips that I downloaded from the net and then got all techy with using a little known program called 'paint' (:p) and erased all the speech from. If anyone is planning on doing a lesson about storytelling or anything, I also found some Calvin and Hobbes cartoons with very little speech (below) that I cut up and got the kids to discuss in groups and rearrange them back into the right order. I wrote my mobile number on the back and when they thought they had the right sequence they had to call me on it (yes I totally stole that idea from our orientation ㅋㅋㅋ) to check that it was right. Each group had to then tell me what they thought happened in their story (preferably at least one sentence for each panel). I did this with both first year and second year middle school students, including second year boys, and everyone seemed to find it pretty interesting. With my first years, I used two lots of fairy tales with only 6 or 7 panels, and as well as the rearranging, phoning, re-telling, I added a challenge segment where to get each panel one person from the team had to walk to the end of the room with a book on their head or a balloon between their knees, then give me a sentence using a target phrase/vocabulary from the lesson to get the panel. This was mainly just to kill some extra time, but then I decided to do away with that and switch the the Calvin and Hobbes cartoons. As they weren't familiar with the cartoon's style it was a lot better and more interesting.

Anyway, here they are, hope they're useful :)

P.S. If for some reason you can't get them from here with good enough quality, send me your email address and I'll email them to you.



No comments:

Post a Comment