Friday, November 11, 2011

Happy Pepero Day!

A usual 'BUY! BUY! BUY!' flood of Pepero on crack display
Happy Pepero Day everyone! Or for everyone else, Remembrance Day. Although not happy because that would be in slightly bad taste. Pretty sure I wrote a post about this last year, but it's the day you give Pepero (a chocolate covered biscuit stick) to people you like/get them from people who like you. One of the charms of this day is that it is competely and utterly upfront about being 100% a made-up commercial holiday by the company that makes Pepero and is called Pepero Day because the '1's in the 11.11 date looks like four sticks of Pepero. And of course, this year being 2011, it's triple/uber/ultimate Pepero Day! Or Pepero to the power of 3 perhaps? I dunno. All I do know is that there is a hell of a lot of Pepero around today, most of which started being sold something like 3 weeks ago when the ads started running too.

Anyway, so this year I've done significantly worse than last year, probably because a) I'm in a different staffroom that the kids aren't allowed into unless they're there to specifically see a teacher and b) I've been a complete hard-arse to most of my students this year and have completely lost my noodle at and punished at least 13 of my 17 classes at some point in the year (deservedly). So I've not exactly been going for 'soft cuddly teacher award'. Oh and also, they're teenagers, and I see most of them once a week so the amount of crap we give about each other is fairly low. Last year I think I got them because I had a Year 8 conversation class after school. Can't say I'm particularly surprised or fazed :p Possibly because I already got an awesome Pepero bon bon from someone already ^_^

So T-bo, I know you were hanging out for a good blog, but sorry, I don't have much to write about right now (hah! write to right about) that's blog-appropriate. I guess I should throw something out there about the weekend which I am looking forward to with great relish for various reasons, one of which the beautiful Sophia and her lovely Phil are in Seoul so I'll be seeing them. Hooray! Another of which is that I think we only have three weeks of Korean lessons left, and since I've been getting more and more bone-tired from bellydancing etc. lately this is very good news as I am looking forward to reclaiming my Saturday morning sleep-ins. Although of course I will keep studying (and this time I actually will!) after they finish. Edithe has been telling me about some awesome sites that she's been using so I guess I should get into them.
Oh and also try and watch some more TV/movies in Korean. Still not going to budge on the drama issue though. A) because lately I don't need a TV for drama, I've had plenty of infinitely more interesting drama going on in my own life and b) because, well, I find dramas as boring as hell. I only like TV shows with good enough writing to keep the storylines at least semi-unpredictable and create well-drawn characters (and preferably witty dialogue), regardless of genre, and dramas do not cut the mustard most of the time, being formulaic and not funny enough to get away with bad acting. Except Passions, which is in a league of its own haha^^ (By the way, I didn't watch the whole episode below, just the first minute or so, but it's a pretty good indicator of the brilliance of the show.) Harsh? Yep. I'm a hater. Sadly, this is a disadvantage to learning Korean and also making friends in Korea as most people here watch dramas and one of the first things they often ask you is about which one you watch. Anyway, I'm going to give it a go with watching movies at school instead and downloading stuff at home and watching it at school as well as actual studying.

 

Anyhoo, that's about it from me for now. Hope y'all have great weekends, kicked off by great Fridays! Regardless of whether they are Pepero filled or not :)

No comments:

Post a Comment